2014 Wisconsin Tour Itinerary (updated 7/21/14)
2014 Travel Logistics Recommendations (updated 5/5/14)
TAX INFORMATION FOR RIDERS/VOLUNTEERS
The IRS allows volunteers (including fundraisers) to deduct some expenses related to fundraising for charities. Learn more and consult your tax adviser for guidance specific to your situation.
RIDER FUNDRAISING SUGGESTIONS
- START EARLY! Order STIHL Tour des Trees info/fundraising brochures, business cards and notecards when you register online.
- DISTILL YOUR MESSAGE: Why are you riding? Why do you care? Why should your donors care? What is the urban forest and why is it important? How does the research supported by the TREE Fund benefit your community or profession? (www.treefund.org)
CREATE A LIST OF POTENTIAL DONORS (that’s everybody you know). Include:
- Co-workers, business associates, clients, and suppliers
- Doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant, insurance agent, church members
- Local businesses you patronize (including your gym & bike shop)
- Local utility companies (they understand the need for arborists and tree care)
- Fellow ISA/TCIA members
- Fellow biking enthusiast
CONTACT your prospects. Use our Fundraising Letter Template, or write your own. Be creative. Be passionate. Be clear.
- Identify yourself as a 2014 STIHL Tour des Trees rider
- Identify the cause (Tour brochures/rider cards are helpful)
- Identify your fundraising goal
- Ask for a specific donation amount. Ask high. They may donate lower, but not often higher than what you’ve asked for.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR ONLINE FUNDRAISING PAGE: Research shows that donors respond to a customized message and photo with bigger donations.
- Track responses to your pledge requests
- Send another email with a link to your fundraising page
- Make a phone call
- RESPOND WITH APPRECIATION: Thank your supporters personally; it will make soliciting easier next year! Your online donors receive an electronic receipt; the TREE Fund sends a thank you letter/tax receipt for donations of $25 or more. Neither one is as effective as a personal note from you.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FUNDRAISING TOOLS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE TOUR DES TREES WEBSITE PROVIDED AS PART OF STIHL’S TITLE SPONSORSHIP OF THE 2014 TOUR:
- The Rider Gallery displays a photo, a brief bio, and a link to your fundraising page on the Tour des Trees website, but ONLY IF YOU SIGN UP TO PARTICIPATE. To get listed on the gallery please send a photo of yourself to Jillian Piet.
- Rider Gallery participants are automatically eligible for the Hometown Media Support campaign. Using the info you provide in your Gallery survey, The Meridian Group’s media relations staff will create a news release about your campaign, and distribute it to the media outlets in your area. (This release will be sent to you for final approval, and can not be distributed until you’ve given your consent.)
THROW A PARTY TO BENEFIT YOUR CAMPAIGN
- Involve a local restaurant or caterer
- Raffle off a prize
- Every guest makes a donation
HAVE A GARAGE SALE
- All proceeds benefit your fundraising campaign
- REMIND YOUR DONORS to ask if their employer matches their charitable contributions. Double Your Money!